Figuring out WHY you want to make a lifestyle change is an important part of the process.
Before setting goals to achieve long-lasting lifestyle changes, you need to do a bit of soul-searching first.
Understanding your own big picture and highest motivations will help you define what first steps you need to take to get started.
To begin the soul-searching process, ask yourself the following questions and write down the answers in a journal or notebook.
- What will my life look like if I make this change? - Imagine your life after making the lifestyle change of your choice and embrace the sense of happiness and positivity it brings you.
- If I don't make this change now, what will happen to me? - Bring awareness to the consequences and negative feelings of not making the change. Being mindful of this will help you stay on track.
- What do I hope/dream to experience or do by making this change? - “By becoming more active I will have more adventures and fun with my kids (or grandkids)", "By changing my eating habits I will have more energy and vitality”.
- Do I desire to make a change because I truly want to or because I think I should? - When you make changes based on what you think you should do rather than what you really want to do, there is a tendency to fail. Get clear behind the real motivations of the change(s) you want to make.
- Do my current beliefs in what I “should do” work for me or do I need to redefine them? - If you have been trying to make the same change or achieve the same goal for a while, maybe it's time to look at things from a different perspective. Do a bit of research, ask a close friend or a loved one who has succeeded at making their own lifestyle changes.
- Does my vision of change strongly motivate ME to take action? - Be completely honest with yourself. If your answer makes you excited and happy, GREAT! If you feel even just a tiny bit unsure of your vision or motivation, it's OK. Change is scary. The important thing here is that YOU feel confident in what you want to achieve. Make the necessary adjustments to help yourself get comfortable with the idea of making a lifestyle change - maybe it's starting with an even smaller goal, or talking to your spouse or loved one to get a clearer picture.
You are the most important person in your life, and as such, by making one small positive lifestyle change at a time your life will transform into the one you've always dreamed of.
Stay tuned for our next blog post! We will be giving you a step-by-step guide to successfully achieve your goals.